One of Our Favorite Fall Family Recipes
By Eliot Orton, Proprietor
When it comes to apples and maple, none compare to the bushels and gallons you’ll find here in Vermont. And when my kids and I combine them with The Vermont Country Store pancake mix (our very own), they turn into a breakfast treat that’s perfect for crisp, fall mornings.
Use your favorite apples, but don’t settle for anything but real Vermont maple syrup! Every lick of ours is made from one grove of maple trees on Butternut Mountain Farm, in the small village of Morrisville, Vermont.
We hope you enjoy making and eating our apple-maple rings as much as we do.
Recipe: Ella & Leo’s Fried Apple-Maple Rings
- 1 cup Apple Cinnamon Pancake Mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbs. melted butter, plus more for cooking
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 firm apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4″ slices
- 1 pint maple syrup
- Mix together the first 5 ingredients until just combined; the batter will be slightly lumpy
- Heat skillet over medium heat, brush with 2 tsp. butter or oil
- Dip each apple slice in the batter
- Cook 1 to 2 minutes per side, until golden brown
- Serve hot with butter and plenty of our Vermont maple syrup